University of Dubrovnik
in cooperation with the Croatian Academy of Science and Arts & Linnaeus University, Sweden
International Scientific Conference
30 years since the attack on Dubrovnik: Political, communicational and cultural aspects of the city under siege
October 1 -2, 2021, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Call for papers
Scientific conference titled “30 years since the attack on Dubrovnik: Political, communicational and cultural aspects of the city under siege” will be held on October 1-2, 2021 at the University of Dubrovnik.
Thirty years after the attacks on Dubrovnik University, Dubrovnik, in cooperation with the Croatian Academy of Science and Arts & Linnaeus University, Sweden, we are organizing an interdisciplinary conference. The scope of the conference is interdisciplinary and contributions from different disciplines are welcome. A special focus of the conference will be given to analysis and comparisons with other cities that were under siege (Vukovar, Sarajevo, Srebrenica…) during the wars in the former Yugoslavia (1991-1999), but comparisons with other conflicts are also welcome.
Proposals may include, but are not limited to, the following topics:
- Understanding the context: the dissolution of Yugoslavia
- War reporting practices from the Dubrovnik area;
- Media analysis on the subject of war in Dubrovnik, Croatia and the ex-Yugoslav area from 1988 to 1995;
- Media and their role in international relations, with a special mention of the recognition of the new states (Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina);
- Strategic communication during wartime (media war);
- Journalists during the war, humanizing the war, journalistic identification with casualties of war;
- Journalistic sources in wartime;
- War propaganda, media control and manipulation;
- Cities under siege – comparative analysis
- Framing the war and collective memory – commemorations, narratives and the confronting of interpretations
- Remembering the war – museums and monuments
- Cultural heritage under the siege
Selected conference papers will be published in the special issue of the journal Collegium Antropologicum (Scopus).
Conference participation application (title of the presentation and summary) – until August 1, 2021 to e-mail: email@example.com
Presentation approval within two weeks of application.
Article delivery (3.000-6.000 words, summary and 6 key words, Harvard System of Referencing) – until November 20, 2021.
Please note: In light of the inability to predict the development of the Covid-19 pandemic, it is very likely that the conference will be conducted as a hybrid event.